Harrowing experience
Wow... The day is finally coming to an end... *sigh*... What a relief. Tho' its officially the weekend, I don't feel like its a weekend at all.
The reason is this... The mysterious bug that surfaced on Monday, has resurfaced... again. *sigh*.... The bug has to come from somewhere...
Anyway, just had a horrible, horrible experience of sitting through a code review with a boss. He has done programming ages and ages and ages ago. He insisted that a code review to be done. Anyhow, he doesn't seem to get it that the new fandangled programming languages like C# and Java are TOTALLY and ABSOLUTELY different from what used to go on ages ago in C, C++ days. I know about those days, I was there....
Somehow, he went through my code and didn't seem to get it that some function calls are done that way because it is just that way... A programming construct/law laid down by those hardworking, pizza-eating, beer-guzzling programmers in Redmond, Beijing, Mumbai... etc..... The example shown in the documentation is not neccessarily the best.... It is just telling you HOW TO CALL THE BLOODY F**KING function... Not the best way to use it! I had to argue my way through why I had to check for an instance if it were null or nothing (VB... Hehehe) before assigning it. Even though you have a Try-Catch-Finally statement block, it always pay to be a little bit more hardworking.... He asked, "Why do you want to check if the DataReader is closed or not when you can just call it anyway?"... I really wanted to say "So that my program won't crash.... DUMBA**!!!".... *sigh*.. But you can't say that to the face of the person who signs your cheques.... ;)
So, the lecture went on. I really felt like a 1st yr student ALL OVER AGAIN!! Bloody Hell!! I've been programming and hacking stuff even before that!!!! F**K!!!! The stupid thing lasted 3 bloody f**king hours... It was 9++pm before I could go down for a bite. Sh*t!! The last thing to hit my stomach was water at 6pm.....
I thought the experience would end there. That I could happily go on my way. I had already uploaded a new patch, which had better logic after a co-worker spotted a leak... And then, I had a call, "I think that block of checking for the DataReader is causing the problem. How sure are you that the code works?" ... This time.. I really had it... "This code has been proven. I've written this piece of code all over the place. This is recommended practice by the experts. The example in the documentation is terrible. If this code didn't work, all the rest of the other applications that has this piece of code would have crashed a long long time ago..."................ "OK........" RELIEF!!!!!
Man!!!!! I have a real horrible feeling that he is going to say on Monday, "Can I see the code again? I want to see the fix..."... Bloody hell... I think he doesn't trust me. Anyway, he's a bloody Masters holder and I'm not. I just got a small piece of paper that said that I graduated in 1997 from Australia with a degree in Comp. Sc. Yea... I'm no Albert Einstein, but he's no Bill Gates either. I have a real nasty feeling that he's going to suggest programming in C.
Oooh booy... If that were to happen... I'll just sit back and watch. See how long will it take for them to build a piece of code to just open a database connection and select 1000 records from the database.
Why can't people let me do my job???? Or the better question is, why the hell am I treated like a bloody f**king 1st yr student when I've been working for over 3yrs in the industry?????!!!!!! This is NOT going to uplift my morale.... Yea... I did the best I could. I'm proud of my work. I laid the bloody f**king foundation of this company and this is the sh*t thanks I get????!!!! I'm only human and am bound to make mistakes.
Time to move on... Perhaps I should just stick to simple stuff like being a System Integrator....
Friday, September 05, 2003
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment